- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Contributors
- Introducing Inter‐organizational Relations
- Manifestations of Inter‐organizational Relations
- Transforming Industrial Districts: How Leading Firms are Escaping the Manufacturing Cage
- Inter‐organizational Relationships, Chains, and Networks: A Supply Perspective
- Alliances and Joint Ventures: The Role Of Partner Selection From An Embeddedness Perspective
- Policy and Implementation Networks: Managing Complex Interactions
- Collaborative Service Provision in the Public Sector
- Voluntary and Community Sector Partnerships: Current Inter‐organizational Relations and Future Challenges
- Inter‐organizational Relationships in Local and Regional Development Partnerships
- Temporary Inter‐organizational Projects: How Temporal and Social Embeddedness Enhance Coordination and Manage Uncertainty
- Technology Service Inter‐organizational Relationships: An Agenda for Information Technology Service Sourcing Research
- Theoretical and Disciplinary Perspectives on the Study of Inter‐organizational Relations
- The Social Network Perspective: Understanding the Structure of Cooperation
- Evolutionary Perspectives on Inter‐organizational Relations
- Transaction Costs Perspectives on Inter‐organizational Relations
- Critical Perspectives on Collaboration
- Managing Collaborative Inter‐organizational Relations
- The Social Psychology of Inter‐organizational Relations
- Political Perspectives on Inter‐organizational Networks
- Perspectives on Inter‐organizational Relations in Economic Geography
- Theories of Contract and their use in Studying Inter‐organizational Relations: Sociological, Psychological, Economic, Management, and Legal
- Key Topics In Inter‐organizational Relations Research
- Trust in Inter‐organizational Relations
- Inter‐organizational Power
- The Role of Social Capital in Inter‐organizational Relationships
- Learning and Innovation in Inter‐organizational Relationships
- Change, Dynamics, and Temporality in Inter‐organizational Relationships
- Intervening to Improve Inter‐organizational Partnerships
- Evaluating Inter‐organizational Relationships
- The Field of Inter‐organizational Relations: A Jungle or an Italian Garden?
- Name Index
- Subject Index
Abstract and Keywords
This article takes issue with the notion that calculativeness and not trust dominates inter-organizational relationships (IORs), and lays out a series of arguments in support of trust. While it principally addresses the role of trust in inter-organizational business relationships, much of what is covered here applies as well to relationships between organizations more generally, including those in the public and non-profit sectors. This article shows that trust is different from calculativeness in nature and that the concept of social embeddedness provides a more realistic perspective for analysing relationships between organizations. It is believed that a detailed examination of the role of trust in IORs from both the economic and sociological perspectives paves the way to a deeper understanding of the issues in this context. In turn, such understandings should help identify appropriate research questions to investigate better empirically the precise role of trust in IORs.
Reinhard Bachmann is Professor of Strategy at Surrey University. He has published in journals such as Organization Studies, Cambridge Journal of Economics, and British Journal of Sociology. With Christel Lane he edited Trust Within and Between Organizations (Oxford University Press, 1998/2000); and in 2006 he edited the Handbook of Trust Research together with Akbar Zaheer. He is a member of the editorial boards of Organization and Organization Studies. He has recently held visiting professorships at the Institute of Advanced Studies in Vienna and at the Stern School of Business, New York University.
Akbar Zaheer (Ph.D., MIT) is the Curtis L. Carlson Chair in Strategic Management at the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota. He has published several articles on trust, including a recent edited book the Handbook of Trust Research (with Reinhard Bachmann), and is currently Guest Editor of a special topic forum for Academy of Management Review on ‘Repairing Relationships’. He is also Associate Editor of Academy of Management Review and serves on the editorial board of Strategic Management Journal. In addition to trust, his research interests include networks, alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
Access to the complete content on Oxford Handbooks Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.