- Copyright Page
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Contributors
- Background and Introduction
- The Topicality of the Learning Organization: is the Concept Still Relevant Today?
- Senge’s Learning Organization: Development of the Learning Organization Model
- Conceptualizing an Organization That Learns
- Garvin’s Learning Organization: A Process Perspective on Learning for Implementation, Improvement, and Innovation
- Learning Company: The Learning Organization According to Pedler, Burgoyne, and Boydell
- Building Learning Organizations With Action Learning
- Personal Paradoxes in Learning to Design “the Learning Organization”
- On Definitions of the Learning Organization: Toward a New Definition of Learning Organization
- Learning in the Learning Organization: COncepts and Antecedents
- Ambidextrous Learning Organizations
- How the Learning Organization Learns and its Culture Coevolves
- A Mighty Step: Critical Systemic Interpretation of the Learning Organization
- From Learning Organizations to Learning Cultures and More: Evolutions in Theory, Changes in Practice, Continuity of Purpose
- Stakeholders and the Learning Organization
- What is Needed to Create Gender Inclusive Learning Organizations?
- Interventions to Create a Learning Organization
- Glimpses of Organizations in the Act of Learning
- Pegasus or Clever White Horse? In Pursuit of Real Learning Organizations
- The Learning Organization Survey: Validation of an Instrument to Augment Research on Organizational Learning
- Measurement of the Learning Organization Construct: A Critical Perspective and Future Directions for Research
- Learning Organization and Organizational Performance
- How Best to Study the Learning Organization
- The Potential to Nurture Small Businesses to Learning Organization Form
- Contextualizing the Learning Organization: Towards Differentiated Standards
- Becoming a Learning Organization: A Process-Philosophical Perspective
- The Learning Organization as a Practice of Becoming Human
- The Empire Strikes Back: How Learning Organization Scholars Can Learn From The Critiques
- An Antenarrative Amendment to the Learning Organization: Theories to Avert the Sixth Extinction
- The Learning Organization: Critical Analysis and Future Directions
- The Future of the Learning Organization
- Suggestions for Future Research on the Learning Organization
- Name Index
- Subject Index
Abstract and Keywords
This chapter suggests some areas for further research on the learning organization. The suggestions, which in one way or another all are connected to the need for a discussion on what the learning organization actually means/how it is and should be defined, are presented under four sub-headings: “defining the learning organization,” “demarcating the learning organization,” “concretizing the learning organization through action research,” and “paradigm shift?” The chapter ends with a list of some less developed research suggestions. One of the most important research areas that is suggested in the chapter is figuring out whether there is reason to try to give the learning organization one definition that all could agree upon and accept, or whether it would be more reasonable to construct some kind of overview definition, which could include several somewhat different definitions and make these comparable.
Anders Örtenblad is Professor of Work Life Science at University of Agder, Norway. He is Editor-in-Chief of The Learning Organization, and has published articles on the learning organization and organizational learning in journals such as Management Learning and International Journal of Management Reviews. Among books he has edited are a series of volumes on the adaptation of management ideas for various industries, sectors, national cultures, and religions, including the Handbook of Research on The Learning Organization: Adaptation and Context (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013).
Access to the complete content on Oxford Handbooks Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.