- Oxford Library Of Psychology
- Oxford Library of Psychology
- About the Editor
- Introduction: Solidifying and Advancing Group Counseling
- The Nature and Significance of Groups
- Definition of Group Counseling
- The History of Group Counseling
- Ethics, Best Practices, andLaw in Group Counseling
- Diversity in Groups
- A Social Justice Approach to Group Counseling
- Therapeutic Factors in Group-Counseling: Asking New Questions
- Cohesion in Counseling and Psychotherapy Groups
- Group Climate: Construct in Search of Clarity
- Group Development
- Evidence Bases for Group Practice
- General Research Models
- Assessing Groups
- Qualitative Research Approaches and Group Counseling
- Personhood of the Leader
- Group Techniques
- Group Leader Style and Functions
- Group Leadership Teaching and Training: Methods and Issues
- Supervision of Group Counseling
- Creativity and Spontaneity in Groups
- Groups across Settings
- Group Counseling across the Life Span: A Psychosocial Perspective
- Group Counseling with Sexual Minorities
- Prevention Groups
- International Group Counseling
- Brief Group Treatment
- Mutual Help Groups: What Are They and What Makes Them Work?
- Online Groups
- Groups for Trauma/Disaster
- Group Counseling: 50 Basic Premises and the Need for Mainstreaming
Abstract and Keywords
The personhood of the group leader is explicated. Leader (who the leader is) is distinguished from leadership (what the leader does), and the role of personhood is explored in the context of the person, process, product paradigm of group work, and the relationship of leader character and competence. Theory and research are examined using the “prism of personhood” to identify and validate the central nature and role of personhood in the practice of group counseling.
James P. Trotzer is a member of ETC Professional Services in Hampton, NH.
Access to the complete content on Oxford Handbooks Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.