- The Oxford Handbook of Diversity in Organizations
- List of Illustrations
- List of Contributors
- Introduction: Mapping the Field of Diversity in Organizations
- The Politics of Equality and Diversity: History, Society, and Biography
- Duelling Dualisms: A History of Diversity Management
- Theories of Difference, Diversity, and Intersectionality: What Do They Bring to Diversity Management?
- Rethinking Diversity in Organizations and Society
- Reflections on Diversity and Inclusion Practices at the Organizational, Group, and Individual Levels
- Reframing Diversity Management
- Advancing Postcolonial Approaches in Critical Diversity Studies
- A Postcolonial Deconstruction of Diversity Management and Multiculturalism
- Queer Perspectives Fuelling Diversity Management Discourse: Theoretical and Empirical-Based Reflections
- Ambiguous Diversities: Practices and Perceptions of Diversity Management
- Individuals, Teams, and Organizational Benefits of Managing Diversity: An Evidence-Based Perspective
- Organizational Benefits through Diversity Management: Theoretical Perspectives on the Business Case
- Explaining Diversity Management Outcomes: What Can Be Learned from Quantitative Survey Research?
- Challenges and Opportunities: Contextual Approaches to Diversity Research and Practice
- In Search of the ‘Real’: The Subversive Potential of Ethnography in the Field of Diversity Management
- Collecting Narratives and Writing Stories of Diversity: Reflecting on Power and Identity in Our Professional Practice
- Rethinking Higher Education Diversity Studies through a Diversity Management Frame
- Global Diversity Management: Breaking the Local Impasse
- Entrepreneurship and Diversity
- Practices of Organizing and Managing Diversity in Emerging Countries: Comparisons between India, Pakistan, and South Africa
- Intersectionality at the Intersection: Paradigms, Methods, and Application—A Review
- The Intersectionalities of Age, Ethnicity, and Class in Organizations
- People with Disabilities: Identity, Stigmatization, Accommodation, and Intersection with Gender and Ageing in Effects on Employment Outcomes
- Of Race and Religion: Understanding the Roots of Anti-Muslim Prejudice in the United States
- Intersectionality, Social Identity Theory, and Explorations of Hybridity: A Critical Review of Diverse Approaches to Diversity
- Examining Diversity in Organizations from Critical Perspectives: The Validity of the Research Process
- Future Challenges for Practices of Diversity Management in Organizations
- From Here to There and Back Again: Transnational Perspectives on Diversity in Organizations
Abstract and Keywords
For years, diversity scholars have been calling for more empirical studies that specifically show how linguistic and non-linguistic practices produce asymmetrical differences between and among social groups. To that end, we show that textual analysis methodologies can provide situational, contextual, and empirical research that demonstrates practices and productions of these differences in organizations and workplaces. We further provide researchers with two overlooked approaches of textual analysis methodology that add a multi-level organizational dimension to studying the production of these differences—critical sensemaking and discourse theory. By establishing and maintaining contextual relevance and casting organization as socially constructed on multiple levels, these two approaches help point to systemic-wide strategies for addressing critical organizational, institutional and societal diversity issues such as discrimination or harassment. This chapter will be useful for the diversity researcher who studies linguistic and non-linguistic practices in organizational, institutional, and social formations.
Access to the complete content on Oxford Handbooks Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.