- Copyright Page
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Contributors
- Background and Introduction
- The Topicality of the Learning Organization: is the Concept Still Relevant Today?
- Senge’s Learning Organization: Development of the Learning Organization Model
- Conceptualizing an Organization That Learns
- Garvin’s Learning Organization: A Process Perspective on Learning for Implementation, Improvement, and Innovation
- Learning Company: The Learning Organization According to Pedler, Burgoyne, and Boydell
- Building Learning Organizations With Action Learning
- Personal Paradoxes in Learning to Design “the Learning Organization”
- On Definitions of the Learning Organization: Toward a New Definition of Learning Organization
- Learning in the Learning Organization: COncepts and Antecedents
- Ambidextrous Learning Organizations
- How the Learning Organization Learns and its Culture Coevolves
- A Mighty Step: Critical Systemic Interpretation of the Learning Organization
- From Learning Organizations to Learning Cultures and More: Evolutions in Theory, Changes in Practice, Continuity of Purpose
- Stakeholders and the Learning Organization
- What is Needed to Create Gender Inclusive Learning Organizations?
- Interventions to Create a Learning Organization
- Glimpses of Organizations in the Act of Learning
- Pegasus or Clever White Horse? In Pursuit of Real Learning Organizations
- The Learning Organization Survey: Validation of an Instrument to Augment Research on Organizational Learning
- Measurement of the Learning Organization Construct: A Critical Perspective and Future Directions for Research
- Learning Organization and Organizational Performance
- How Best to Study the Learning Organization
- The Potential to Nurture Small Businesses to Learning Organization Form
- Contextualizing the Learning Organization: Towards Differentiated Standards
- Becoming a Learning Organization: A Process-Philosophical Perspective
- The Learning Organization as a Practice of Becoming Human
- The Empire Strikes Back: How Learning Organization Scholars Can Learn From The Critiques
- An Antenarrative Amendment to the Learning Organization: Theories to Avert the Sixth Extinction
- The Learning Organization: Critical Analysis and Future Directions
- The Future of the Learning Organization
- Suggestions for Future Research on the Learning Organization
- Name Index
- Subject Index
Abstract and Keywords
Many scholars have proposed factors that inhibit or facilitate organizational learning, yet few of these claims have been tested empirically. To measure differences in learning across organizations or work units within the same organization, this chapters draws on existing perspectives in the organizational learning literature to create and test a Learning Organization Survey (LOS) in two studies. The LOS presents ten constructs in three clusters – learning environment, processes, and leadership. Study 1 examines the reliability and validity of the ten theory-based constructs comprising the learning organization. Study 2 provides further validation that the LOS is a reliable, stable instrument containing items that suit the theoretical criteria for components of learning organizations. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
Harvard Business School, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
Francesca Gino (PhD, Economics and Management, Sant’anna School of Advanced Studies) is the Tandon Family Professor of Business Administration in the Negotiation, Organizations, & Markets Unit at Harvard Business School.
Patrick J. Healy, Harvard Graduate School of Education
Access to the complete content on Oxford Handbooks Online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.